Monday 20 April 2009

A real Sparrow hawk !

Sitting in the sunshine yesterday evening, having wimped out on an late evening visit to VP I was cleaning the equipment, as you do some times!! when all of a sudden a whoosh over my head attracted my attention, as it would of course. The resident House sparrows went into apoplexy as a very nice , aesthetically speaking of course, Male Sparow hawk dropped in for supper.

I have been watching my resident population wax and wain for years and was a bit miffed that the new dominant male "Alpha" was now trapped or rather pinned to the lawn with the prospect of being course one, for an evening meal. The picture below is definitely an "OH! crap" moment in the life of a Sparrow.

It will be intersting to see which of the remainin gmales will take a lead role, and as they are newly attired if the plumage will improve, a concept of self importance?


The Sparrow hawk with a House sparrow, go figure.
A few swift plucks and the Sparrow was well and truly plucked!


After feeding on the more juicy parts He was of over the fence and away to the female with his gift, she, by the way, was calling from the trees not to far away.
So! an interesting and exciting evening it was even more surprising that I was sitting only 15 feet away all through this on a garden bench, he was not phased at all, mind I did get the look! like get of it's mine.
Cheers
Paul
















Sitting in the sunshine yesterday evening, having wimped out on an late evening visit to VP I was cleaning the equipment, as you do some times!! when all of a sudden a whoosh over my head attracted my attention, as it would of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment