Sunday 18 November 2007

Rain, Sleet, snow and bull plop!

I was determined this morning to get to the Melverley Green Whoopers, this time however I took a different approach to the area where they are normally to be found.

With special permission from the landowner I was able to use the main farm track which led directly to the spot. But nothing could be seen, now comes the rain. Then a head appears above the dead ground they were feeding in. This presented a different way of approaching, as when heads were down move forwards stopping as soon as any one of the heads re-appeared. It was like doing one of those games from childhood.

it did not take long to be sussed out, so then it was get lower than they were! OK belly down into the mud, now the snow. Glad I had not brought the big glass for this exercise, so lens cradled in the arms it was elbows and knees for the next fifty yards or so, now confronted with Bull plop to the front and Bull plop to the left and right, there was no alternative but, you guessed it! it will wash out, I hope.
That was as close as they were going to allow me to get, this was told by the calls and gathering together, the pictures obtained enabled me to record the Darvik ring numbers on three of the Swans. Might even be part of the Autumn watch group. I will let you know. Three numbers identified are from the Autumnwatch icelandic ringing trip with the WWT Whooper project, the remaining Swans will be checked out on the Tuesday, trying a different approach direction!


So thoroughly damp and smelling like one of the residents of the fields, I made my way to Venus Pools, after a well needed cup of Tea. So VP any thing interesting? oh yes! Water rail out in the open reasonably close to the Memorial Hide, the male Shoveller's had ventured into lens range along with a very nice male Gadwall and the male Teal in their new plumage.


You try and look happy with a nose like this!!


It rained but it was like water of a ducks back!!

It was that cold at VP even the ducks had nose drops!!
So there it is Sundays Blog, if you have comment and or criticism go for it.
C u l8er
Paul

2 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday Paul,
    I am a studio photographer, creating from the ground up. I greatly admire people who can compose and capture on the run like you do. Very nice work. I have lots of friends in England. Keep up the great work. (I'll just sit here and be a little jealous).
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Bill I wonder just where you are in the world?
    Nice to know it is getting out there, were ever there is!!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete