Wednesday 26 September 2007

Large Raptor over and Chaos under!

Once and a while you get days when things really get a bit confusing, well today it was my tern (sic), just as I arrived in the hide a small tern was departing towards the fish pools, was it the same bird from yesterday? or a new pass through who knows. The gulls on the water increased in numbers during the morning with one juvenile lesser black backed gull amongst them, and the Lapwings were numbering around 60 birds which was good.
Around 11:30 the whole group lifted, indicating a scan of the airspace was in order. nothing was visible to the front of the hide or the sides! Suddenly a very large raptor sailed into view over the top of the hide, I mean large with really long primaries and it was moving at a rate of knots.
Hmmmmm! pale Buzzard? really looked to big. Juvenile Osprey? most of the ID points were good, but no pale head. So what was it, I would suspect a Buzzard however check out the piccies and make your own mind up.



4 comments:

  1. I like your blog Paul and have also visited Venus on ocassion. Keep up the posts it is a good way to follow the sightings at venus. BTW I think the Raptor is a Buzzard as I have nearly identical images from over The Wyre Forest. Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Pete.
    Yes I know it is a Buzzard, it is just another way of keeping interest in the blog and generating discussion.
    thanks
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMM Thats a good one, when i rolled the screen down looked like osprey lots of white, more than i have ever seen on a buzzard but just goes to show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice One Paul ("yes I know it's a buzzard....etc.)! However, when you say it was big, I did wonder about Rough Legged Buz. I can't really make out the tail on the blog photos but there is a suspicion of a band and the very white chest also fits?
    Mark

    ReplyDelete