Tuesday 4 March 2008

A Splash of colour

With the promise of some nice weather and the finding of a new site, right on my doorstep it was out as soon as the chores were done,, in reality the chores were left for later, I had to prioritise you know! And I glad I did as on arrival I was greeted by the persistent calling of a male Nuthatch as he tried to catch the eye of the female that was moving around the tree in a non plussed manner.But my attention was soon taken by the high tones of a Goldcrest flitting around the Spruce I was stood next to, and when looking there were six crests chasing each other all over the place, never seeming to stop for a moment, but that one or two moments of pause were enough for a shot or two from my vantage point
A cool shot as she was giving a male the come on? or go away. not sure which but any contract was not consummated within eye shot, but the picture is a real gem it is not often that you get the chance of seeing the crest raised at all, read this months Bird watching for a real eye opener on Goldcrest's, sadly none of my shots were included,,, this time ;-)

The show continued for at least 45 minutes finally stopping with the over flight of a raptor upon which they all disappeared. the rest of the morning was uneventful in comparison, so I bowed out and took a well deserved cup of tea.
A Goldcrest in full!! song, not that I could hear a lot of it, darn this getting old crap. Any way there will be other opportunities for these wee beauties.
For those of you still to see the Glaucous Gull it was there at Priorslee today just loafing around.
I know it is short but perhaps sweet and I shall be back soon with more bits and pieces from my time out and about.
Cheers
Paul







No comments:

Post a Comment