Thursday 3 January 2008

1, 2, 3 Targets ------- 1, 2, 3 Ticks +1



With the promise of snow in the county and temperatures below freezing, I was out as soon as possible for the three Birds I wanted for the new year . And having an interest in the Gulls that might / have been reported around the area, if you can call Chasewater local?













On arrival the temperature gauge was showing just above zero, but the wind was, as is usual whipping across the water bringing the open skin temp down to around - 8 not as Brrr! as expected. But I soon warmed up, with the Great Northern diver appearing very close to the bank in Fly Bay (Sailing club) I was set up and ready in a few minutes, but I was not prepared for the second Diver to surface less than six feet away from the point I had chosen to set up.
A frantic one or two shots!!! it was nailed, now to concentrate on the other diver but not wanting the normal static pose I was please to get a nice wing stretch.But as is the norm a standard pose was in order for the plumage info!
As this was going I was keeping an eye open for the Male Smew that had been reported the previous day as being in the same bay as the Divers.




The clue eventually came as a group of Coot scattered as the bird emerged directly amongst them on the far edge, the whiteness and clear lines immediately said Male Smew, boy was I chuffed, well that did not last long as it disappeared back where it had come from, the tree strewn inlet at the corner of the bay.

The greatest challenge for me here was not just to get the shot but get the whites exposed correctly and with some back lighting it was going to prove to be a real bugger.




Well I think I got it just about right, was a bit like shooting an Arctic hare in a blizzard!





Two down one to go, trouble is I had no idea where I was going to find the third target of the day. I knew by now it was not on the sailing club side so it stood to reason!!! it must be on the other, a quick run around (not literally) to the Steam rail park. Powerboat bay? NO, Middle of the water anywhere? NO, was it along the causeway toward Jeffery's swag NO, bugger must have missed it. never mind a nice Grey wagtail and male Brambling on the way back.




I stopped at the jetties by the power boat bay for a final look and got Little grebe, when suddenly practically in my face a beautiful Slavonian grebe, bobbing about with no care of me what so ever. So not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I blasted a few hundred of over the next few minutes. the confidence of this little bird was well good to say the least.

The bleeding eye!
The better side.
and the what you doing pose.






Am I going to show you what else was got today? NO, it just takes to long to go through them all tonight so maybe watch the Gallery.



As per usual if you have comment and or gripes why not drop them into the Guestbook.






Thanks for reading









Paul



OH! the +1! was unusually for the time of year and temperature one target I was not expecting
tucked away behind my left knee was a very nice little Tick, how did i know it was there easy, it was a what the F is that in the shower moment, a bit of vasaline and of it went gradually.




PAK












No comments:

Post a Comment